Advanced Core Strengthening Exercises
Click here to make an appointment with an exercise physiologist
Show more safety tips for exercise
Join Joslin’s Michael See, M.S., R.C.E.P., C.D.E., Exercise Physiologist in improving your fitness with these core strengthening exercises! These are advanced versions of exercises introduced in Core Strengthening Exercises.
The core is the muscles that refer to the abdominal, low back, hips and buttocks. These are important for stabilizing the spine relative to the pelvis. Low back pain is associated with weak and unbalanced core muscles. The stronger our core muscles are the lower risk for back injuries. This type of fitness is essential to daily living and regular activities like lifting, reaching, or bending.
These exercises can be done 2 to 3 times per week. Start by performing one set of these exercises, 5 to 10 repetitions each. Gradually increase to 2 to 3 sets per session.
Always remember to keep taking deep breaths throughout the exercise!
Strengthens abdomen and sides of stomach
1. Lay on your stomach, propped up on your elbows so that elbows are directly below shoulders
2. Raise hips and knees up, holding yourself on elbows and toes
3. Keep back straight, making a line from ears to shoulders to hips to knees to ankles
4. Hold for 15 seconds, and gradually increase to 60 seconds
Advanced Hip Bridge
Strengthens hamstrings and gluteal muscles
1. Lay on your back, knees bent and feet planted on the floor
2. Squeeze buttocks muscles while raising hips up, so your body makes a straight line from your knees to your shoulders
3. Extend left leg straight up, so thighs are parallel and there is a straight line from ankles to knees to hips to shoulders
4. Hold for 10 to 15 seconds
5. Slowly bring left foot back to the floor, and repeat with right leg
6. Slowly bring your hips back to the floor and relax
7. Repeat 5 times, gradually increasing to 15
New Joslin Videos
Page last updated: April 21, 2019